Spring has sprung, North of 60
It’s been a pretty rough winter, all around.
Miramichi got more than her fair share of snow this winter, so I hear.
I feel bad for you folks, but I sure ain’t jealous.
The only snowstorms I saw this year were on the news. I couldn’t help but smile when they talked about the latest big blizzard barrelling over Atlantic Canada.
The only real snowfall we got here in Yellowknife was in September.
Up here North of 60, only a week into fall, winter showed up, dropping about 20 inches of snow in one day and night. And aside for a half-inch here and a half-inch there, that was it. We’re in a desert you see. Rain and snow are rare.
But, it looks like winter is over, for the most part anyway, knock on wood.
I woke up the other morning, did my usual morning routine, put on my parka and walked down to the car to go to work.
For the first time in a long time, I wasn’t met with a bone-chilling blast as I walked through the door. Far from it. The wind met me with a warm breeze and the sun, already high in the sky, felt hot on my neck.
Over the next two days, I watched a parking lot covered in about four inches of ice and snow since the fall turn into black asphalt again.
It’s warm now. People on the street, wrapped in parkas, toques and heavy mittens less than a week ago, are now strutting around in summer jackets and even shirtsleeves.
I’d say spring has sprung.
All across the country, from coast to coast to coast, it’s warming up.
Snow banks are turning into lakes and it won’t be long until the world turns green again.
I for one am looking forward to seeing some green grass underfoot and some green leaves up above as I cast a line over Great Slave Lake.
I’ve never been one for golf, but I plan to try a game under the midnight sun this year. If a raven steals your ball you get a free shot, I’m told.
Maybe I’ll catch a ride in one of the floatplanes that are as common up here as clover is in a field down home.
And I can’t forget the barbeque. I picked it up last Friday afternoon, spent most of Friday evening scraping my knuckles and cursing under my breath trying to get the thing put together. Could have had it assembled for 50 bucks, but I said no. I won’t next time.
But it was worth all the work when I had that first barbequed steak of the year. That barbeque and I are gonna be good friends, I think.
I for one am looking forward to all the things that make spring and summer so great.
Like a lady told me the other day, we’ve only got two seasons up here, eight months of winter and four months of bad snowmobiling.
I hope she’s wrong. And if she’s not, here’s for trying to make the best of it.
Well, folks, here’s hoping this spring is the best one you’ve ever had, but not quite as good as the one coming next year.
Miramichi got more than her fair share of snow this winter, so I hear.
I feel bad for you folks, but I sure ain’t jealous.
The only snowstorms I saw this year were on the news. I couldn’t help but smile when they talked about the latest big blizzard barrelling over Atlantic Canada.
The only real snowfall we got here in Yellowknife was in September.
Up here North of 60, only a week into fall, winter showed up, dropping about 20 inches of snow in one day and night. And aside for a half-inch here and a half-inch there, that was it. We’re in a desert you see. Rain and snow are rare.
But, it looks like winter is over, for the most part anyway, knock on wood.
I woke up the other morning, did my usual morning routine, put on my parka and walked down to the car to go to work.
For the first time in a long time, I wasn’t met with a bone-chilling blast as I walked through the door. Far from it. The wind met me with a warm breeze and the sun, already high in the sky, felt hot on my neck.
Over the next two days, I watched a parking lot covered in about four inches of ice and snow since the fall turn into black asphalt again.
It’s warm now. People on the street, wrapped in parkas, toques and heavy mittens less than a week ago, are now strutting around in summer jackets and even shirtsleeves.
I’d say spring has sprung.
All across the country, from coast to coast to coast, it’s warming up.
Snow banks are turning into lakes and it won’t be long until the world turns green again.
I for one am looking forward to seeing some green grass underfoot and some green leaves up above as I cast a line over Great Slave Lake.
I’ve never been one for golf, but I plan to try a game under the midnight sun this year. If a raven steals your ball you get a free shot, I’m told.
Maybe I’ll catch a ride in one of the floatplanes that are as common up here as clover is in a field down home.
And I can’t forget the barbeque. I picked it up last Friday afternoon, spent most of Friday evening scraping my knuckles and cursing under my breath trying to get the thing put together. Could have had it assembled for 50 bucks, but I said no. I won’t next time.
But it was worth all the work when I had that first barbequed steak of the year. That barbeque and I are gonna be good friends, I think.
I for one am looking forward to all the things that make spring and summer so great.
Like a lady told me the other day, we’ve only got two seasons up here, eight months of winter and four months of bad snowmobiling.
I hope she’s wrong. And if she’s not, here’s for trying to make the best of it.
Well, folks, here’s hoping this spring is the best one you’ve ever had, but not quite as good as the one coming next year.

<< Home