Friday, April 04, 2008

Making Old Bones

It’s half-past midnight and for what feels like the 100,000th time in my life I’m staring at a blank screen, trying to fill it.
It ain’t easy today.
I was up till 2 a.m. yesterday, watching the end of a movie that really wasn’t worth watching anyway.
I’ve been going to bed around 11 p.m. for quite a while. I used to laugh at people who did that.
Now I’m one of them.
I’m running on about four hours of sleep, or basically, not nearly enough. And here I am working on doing it all over again.
My bones ache. My eyes ache. My hair aches. Hair that’s starting to get more than a little silvery-looking at the temples, I might add.
I have a sinking suspicious something’s going on here.
I have to lean in a little more to read the newspaper and when I watch TV, the most common thing I hear is “Could you turn that TV down?”
I suspect I could possibly be getting older and I’ve gathered some evidence to prove it.
Ten years ago, I went to a nightclub three times a week, rain or shine, hot or cold.
But the last time I was inside a nightclub, I thought I’d walked into a teen dance by mistake and the last time I was inside of a bar at all was the Black Horse in July. I had a Diet Pepsi, my drink of choice these days.
Ten years and about a hundred pounds ago, two cheeseburgers, a side of fries and a can of pop was an after-dinner snack for me.
Now I eat salad as a side dish every day, sometimes twice a day, sometimes more, seven days a week. I won’t pretend to say it was my own idea or that I went down that road very willingly at first. But now I look forward to the salad I find in my lunch bag at midday. And the almost 10 pounds I’ve lost in the last two-and-a-half weeks alone is a pretty good motivator too.
Ten years ago, I thought high cholesterol was something old people had and you only went to a doctor if you fell out of a hayloft and broke your arm or something. Now high cholesterol is something I take pills for, along with an aspirin everyday to help prevent a heart attack, as recommended by my physician who I see once a month.
Last week, I had to unload something off the back of a truck. Getting on wasn’t any huge effort, but it wasn’t a piece of cake either.
Getting off a truck used to be easy. I’d jump off, then I’d be off.
So last week I jumped off. And every bit of me, from my skin to my bones to my soul, felt that landing and hurt. Jeez, I’ve been in car accidents that didn’t shake me up as much.
I must be getting older. I’m sure of it now.
Anyway, it’s ten-to-two now, (funny how time flies, ain’t it?) I’m tired and I think it’s high time I take these old bones to bed.
Catch you on the flipside.