Friday, February 01, 2008

The best fishing rod two dollars can buy

It’s seemed to rear its head about this time of year for as many years as I can remember.
Though the world is blanketed with snow and the river is thick with ice, I always get a feeling this time of year, a longing deep down in my bones, in my blood, connected to the sound of rushing water and the whoosh of a rod whipping through air, connected to the smell of pine trees and the sight of the sun on the rippling water and the banks of a little trout brook alive with the deepest greens you’ve ever seen.
Yes, here we are in the heart of winter, but it’s February now and that means in only three months or so, it’ll be fishing season once again. The best time in the dear old world.
I didn’t realize it but the urge to wet a line must have been working its way up from deep down inside me in its quiet way for a while now. It was brought to my attention Thursday when I walked by one of those bins in the centre aisle of a department store and found the deal a lifetime, or at least the deal of this fishing-season-to-be.
I got a new fishing rod Thursday, a fancy one with all the bells and whistles I could never afford to buy ordinarily, and it cost me less than the price of a cup of coffee and a doughnut, so I’d have to say Thursday was a pretty darn good day.
You know how sometimes at a department store you’ll see a bunch of stuff in a bin at a reduced price, often for no other reason than that the packaging is less than perfect? A dent here, a tear there, but the product is more often than not in really good shape?
Well, I found a couple of rods and reels in a basket. One of the rods was broken, but the reel was real nice and had been knocked down from $99 to $1. It was in my hands quick as a whip. Another one of the rods was in perfect condition with no reel, also a buck, which I claimed as well. I also picked up one of those big lantern-type flashlights that float cause it was only a buck too and ya never know when you might need a big lantern-type flashlight, especially one that floats. It just might save your life.
So I paid the cashier the whopping sum of three dollars and change and brought my goodies home.
When I got there, I put the reel on the good pole and had myself a heck of a nice fishing rod, something that should have run well over $100 bucks for both the rods and the reel for a mere two dollars.
And then it hit me. Though I wasn’t thinking about it, I realized it wouldn’t be long until fishing season was here again and I was getting ready for it without really knowing I was getting ready for it.
Now, I’ve got some big plans for that new rod of mine. I’m gonna find myself some fast-moving water someday not-too-far in the future, a nice sunny spot, with a few leafy trees close by for shade. Then I’m gonna stand in that fast-moving water in the warm sunlight with my new rod and I’m going to get myself the biggest trout in the county.
And I can’t wait.