Enterprise Miramichi's move across town is non-issue, not "bombshell."
Last Monday, city council passed a motion to reduce its funding for Enterprise Miramichi from $35,000 to $1 because the agency announced it wants to move its offices from Chatham to Newcastle.
Council’s motion is almost too ridiculous to comprehend. Nice to see some things don’t change.
On Jan. 17, the Enterprise Miramichi board voted to move their offices from 158 Wellington St. to the former Dooly's above Tim Horton’s on Newcastle Boulevard.
If you don’t already know, Enterprise Miramichi is one of 15 members of the Enterprise Network designed to create prosperity in communities throughout the province.
“By building stronger communities, the Enterprise Network is helping build a stronger New Brunswick,” the Enterprise Network Website says.
Ironic, isn’t it, that the majority of our council seem to think a move across the city by Enterprise Miramichi is going to be what city councillor Peter Manderson called a “bombshell for the community.”
A bombshell? Gimme a break.
Maybe Manderson should take a look at the big picture. Bombshells are what are killing Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan everyday.
This non-issue with Enterprise Miramichi is, in terms of big-picture-importance, somewhere between a hiccup and a hangnail. Nothing to pay too much attention to, unless you’re the type that’s prone to whining about minor irritations.
Maybe I’m an idiot, but I don’t see how a group dedicated to creating prosperity in the region is doing any harm by wanting to move into what they consider a better building, no matter what side of town it happens to be on.
Enterprise Miramichi’s Website says the organization is committed to promoting the Miramichi region as an ideal place to do business.
“Whether you are a start-up, existing, or expanding business - or looking to relocate to the Miramichi region - we can help address your needs,” the site says.
Hmmm. I don’t know about you, but if I was a business owner looking to relocate to Miramichi, I might think twice about putting the future of my company in the hands of an organization that doesn’t even have the decision-making power to move across town without their funding being cut off by petty politicians.
I think councillor Reg Falconer summed it up best at the council meeting.
"They're not moving to Blackville,” Falconer said. “They're not moving to Moncton. They're moving inside the city. Just as plain and simple as that. I don't see what the complication is. A few years ago when they were moving parts of the fire hall here down to Station Two, you all told me it's inside the city. ‘Where's your complaint, Coun. Falconer?' Where's your complaint now? This is so stupid it's unreal," he said.
So stupid it’s unreal. I think Reg hit the nail on the head.
But remember. Elections for mayor and council are on May 12th. Only 106 more days to go.
Council’s motion is almost too ridiculous to comprehend. Nice to see some things don’t change.
On Jan. 17, the Enterprise Miramichi board voted to move their offices from 158 Wellington St. to the former Dooly's above Tim Horton’s on Newcastle Boulevard.
If you don’t already know, Enterprise Miramichi is one of 15 members of the Enterprise Network designed to create prosperity in communities throughout the province.
“By building stronger communities, the Enterprise Network is helping build a stronger New Brunswick,” the Enterprise Network Website says.
Ironic, isn’t it, that the majority of our council seem to think a move across the city by Enterprise Miramichi is going to be what city councillor Peter Manderson called a “bombshell for the community.”
A bombshell? Gimme a break.
Maybe Manderson should take a look at the big picture. Bombshells are what are killing Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan everyday.
This non-issue with Enterprise Miramichi is, in terms of big-picture-importance, somewhere between a hiccup and a hangnail. Nothing to pay too much attention to, unless you’re the type that’s prone to whining about minor irritations.
Maybe I’m an idiot, but I don’t see how a group dedicated to creating prosperity in the region is doing any harm by wanting to move into what they consider a better building, no matter what side of town it happens to be on.
Enterprise Miramichi’s Website says the organization is committed to promoting the Miramichi region as an ideal place to do business.
“Whether you are a start-up, existing, or expanding business - or looking to relocate to the Miramichi region - we can help address your needs,” the site says.
Hmmm. I don’t know about you, but if I was a business owner looking to relocate to Miramichi, I might think twice about putting the future of my company in the hands of an organization that doesn’t even have the decision-making power to move across town without their funding being cut off by petty politicians.
I think councillor Reg Falconer summed it up best at the council meeting.
"They're not moving to Blackville,” Falconer said. “They're not moving to Moncton. They're moving inside the city. Just as plain and simple as that. I don't see what the complication is. A few years ago when they were moving parts of the fire hall here down to Station Two, you all told me it's inside the city. ‘Where's your complaint, Coun. Falconer?' Where's your complaint now? This is so stupid it's unreal," he said.
So stupid it’s unreal. I think Reg hit the nail on the head.
But remember. Elections for mayor and council are on May 12th. Only 106 more days to go.

<< Home