Wolfville council deserves praise for banning smoking in cars with minors
They say there’s nothing worse than a reformed smoker.
If that’s true (and as a reformed smoker I know it is) then the powers-that-be down in Wolfville, Nova Scotia must have all kicked the habit hard.
Last week, Wolfville became the first community in this country to make it illegal to smoke in a vehicle with someone under the age of 18 inside.
More power to ya, folks.
Smoking is a stupid thing to do, but not nearly as stupid as exposing innocent children to one of the filthiest and most addictive habits on the face of the earth.
I tried to quit about a dozen times or so in the almost decade-and-a-half I smoked. It’s been a while since I had one, and it was a struggle to get clear of them but I did and good riddance to bad rubbish.
I don’t crave them now. Far from it. When I catch a whiff of smoke as I pass a smoker on the street, it almost makes me sick. It’s worse when I have to talk to a smoker. It’s as if they walk around in a stale old cloud. These times, which happen more and more often (like I said, there’s nothing worse than a reformed smoker) I can’t help but think to myself “This used to be me.”
I look at people smoking as I drive by in a car and I think what a nut. It looks stupid, it smells horrible and you’re doing incredible damage to your heart, to your lungs, to your arteries, to your brain, and it wasn’t that long ago I did the very same thing.
But not now.
Not only is smoking a ridiculous habit, it’s also ridiculously addictive and destructive.
It's long been known the affects second-hand smoke have on people so why anyone in their right mind would want to lock kids up in a smoke-filled car is beyond me.
Those enforcing Wolfville’s new by-law will issue warnings for first offenders, while subsequent violations would result in a $50 fine. The RCMP provides police service to Wolfville and has agreed to enforce the bylaw.
Standing by their new bylaw would solidify its commitment to the protection of the health of residents of Wolfville, Wolfville council said in a report.
Sometimes in politics, without a big song and dance, things get done right the first time. I think the council of Wolfville deserves nothing but praise for its decision to ban smoking in vehicles with minors.
And their idea is catching on. Leonard Krog, a British Columbia Opposition MLA, is trying to ban smoking in any car carrying children in that province.
Hopefully, before too long, other elected officials in other cities and provinces will jump on the bandwagon and make the air we breathe a little safer for all of us, young and old.
But for now, hooray for Wolfville for taking the lead. Let those who can, follow.
If that’s true (and as a reformed smoker I know it is) then the powers-that-be down in Wolfville, Nova Scotia must have all kicked the habit hard.
Last week, Wolfville became the first community in this country to make it illegal to smoke in a vehicle with someone under the age of 18 inside.
More power to ya, folks.
Smoking is a stupid thing to do, but not nearly as stupid as exposing innocent children to one of the filthiest and most addictive habits on the face of the earth.
I tried to quit about a dozen times or so in the almost decade-and-a-half I smoked. It’s been a while since I had one, and it was a struggle to get clear of them but I did and good riddance to bad rubbish.
I don’t crave them now. Far from it. When I catch a whiff of smoke as I pass a smoker on the street, it almost makes me sick. It’s worse when I have to talk to a smoker. It’s as if they walk around in a stale old cloud. These times, which happen more and more often (like I said, there’s nothing worse than a reformed smoker) I can’t help but think to myself “This used to be me.”
I look at people smoking as I drive by in a car and I think what a nut. It looks stupid, it smells horrible and you’re doing incredible damage to your heart, to your lungs, to your arteries, to your brain, and it wasn’t that long ago I did the very same thing.
But not now.
Not only is smoking a ridiculous habit, it’s also ridiculously addictive and destructive.
It's long been known the affects second-hand smoke have on people so why anyone in their right mind would want to lock kids up in a smoke-filled car is beyond me.
Those enforcing Wolfville’s new by-law will issue warnings for first offenders, while subsequent violations would result in a $50 fine. The RCMP provides police service to Wolfville and has agreed to enforce the bylaw.
Standing by their new bylaw would solidify its commitment to the protection of the health of residents of Wolfville, Wolfville council said in a report.
Sometimes in politics, without a big song and dance, things get done right the first time. I think the council of Wolfville deserves nothing but praise for its decision to ban smoking in vehicles with minors.
And their idea is catching on. Leonard Krog, a British Columbia Opposition MLA, is trying to ban smoking in any car carrying children in that province.
Hopefully, before too long, other elected officials in other cities and provinces will jump on the bandwagon and make the air we breathe a little safer for all of us, young and old.
But for now, hooray for Wolfville for taking the lead. Let those who can, follow.

<< Home