Let's ban all VLTs in New Brunswick
Shawn Graham and his Liberals cut nearly a quarter of the video lottery terminals in the province last week as part of their government’s responsible gaming policy, dropping the number of VLT from 2,660 to 2,000.
Well, it’s a good start. But I’d like to see them all gone in the not-too-distant future.
It’s not a secret that I think these machines should all be piled up and set on fire. They are incredibly addictive and they destroy the lives of those who use them and their families.
I’ve heard some people say they only use them for recreation. Sure you do. I’ve heard that same line from people who crush and snort painkillers that doctors would be afraid to prescribe to people with bone cancer. Only for recreation, something to pass the time. If it’s only for a pass time, if it’s only for recreation, why not play a game of checkers?
Addiction is addiction and with addiction goes denial.
Experts on the subject of gambling addiction say VLTs aren’t like any other form of gambling. These machines are designed to create addictions and are considered the crack cocaine of gambling.
I’m sure glad this Liberal government is taking steps to finally get this VLT madness in check.
On top of the cut to VLT’S, the Finance Minister announced the province would place a moratorium on installing new VLTs.
The moratorium would run for one year until the policy, which will limit the number of locations where VLTs can be accessed, is up and running throughout the province.
Boudreau said the plan is meant to create a balance between the need to curb problem gambling while, at the same time, retaining most of the $135 million the VLTs currently pump into the provincial economy.
"As we all know various jurisdictions rely on the revenue that comes from these machines," Boudreau said in a report. "We also know that the video lottery machines are probably the most addictive ones."
Boudreau hinted the new policy will allow some form of casino to operate in the province as part of an effort to promote "destination gaming" to attract visitors.
Conservative Leader Jeannot Volpé said in a report reducing the number of VLT sites in the province sounds good but the government shouldn't be investing in racinos. Volpe added the private sector, and not taxpayers, should pay to establish gambling facilities.
I wholeheartedly agree.
I sincerely hope the government stays out of the racino and casino business and leaves the development of such operations to private interests.
As bad as things get here in this province, there is no excuse for our government to live on the pain and suffering of thousands and thousands of citizens addicted to these monstrous money-sucking machines. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The government has got to find a better way to generate revenue in this province than off the backs of people with a sickness the government itself helped to create. There's got to be a better way.
Well, it’s a good start. But I’d like to see them all gone in the not-too-distant future.
It’s not a secret that I think these machines should all be piled up and set on fire. They are incredibly addictive and they destroy the lives of those who use them and their families.
I’ve heard some people say they only use them for recreation. Sure you do. I’ve heard that same line from people who crush and snort painkillers that doctors would be afraid to prescribe to people with bone cancer. Only for recreation, something to pass the time. If it’s only for a pass time, if it’s only for recreation, why not play a game of checkers?
Addiction is addiction and with addiction goes denial.
Experts on the subject of gambling addiction say VLTs aren’t like any other form of gambling. These machines are designed to create addictions and are considered the crack cocaine of gambling.
I’m sure glad this Liberal government is taking steps to finally get this VLT madness in check.
On top of the cut to VLT’S, the Finance Minister announced the province would place a moratorium on installing new VLTs.
The moratorium would run for one year until the policy, which will limit the number of locations where VLTs can be accessed, is up and running throughout the province.
Boudreau said the plan is meant to create a balance between the need to curb problem gambling while, at the same time, retaining most of the $135 million the VLTs currently pump into the provincial economy.
"As we all know various jurisdictions rely on the revenue that comes from these machines," Boudreau said in a report. "We also know that the video lottery machines are probably the most addictive ones."
Boudreau hinted the new policy will allow some form of casino to operate in the province as part of an effort to promote "destination gaming" to attract visitors.
Conservative Leader Jeannot Volpé said in a report reducing the number of VLT sites in the province sounds good but the government shouldn't be investing in racinos. Volpe added the private sector, and not taxpayers, should pay to establish gambling facilities.
I wholeheartedly agree.
I sincerely hope the government stays out of the racino and casino business and leaves the development of such operations to private interests.
As bad as things get here in this province, there is no excuse for our government to live on the pain and suffering of thousands and thousands of citizens addicted to these monstrous money-sucking machines. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The government has got to find a better way to generate revenue in this province than off the backs of people with a sickness the government itself helped to create. There's got to be a better way.

<< Home