Monday, August 27, 2007

How to be a Canadian - the book

I was in the bookstore the other day, doing what you usually do in books stores when I saw the cover.
I’m not an impulse buyer when it comes to books. I like to take a few minutes to check under the hood of a new book, so to speak, take her for a spin around the block before I plop my money down, cause if there’s one thing I learned early in life it’s this. There’s a lot of books in the world, and there’s a lot that aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on. The old saying you can’t judge a book by it’s cover rings true most of the time. But once in a while along comes an exception that proves the rule and once in a while, I snap a book up as soon as I see it.
I did that last week.
The title of the book? How To Be A Canadian by Will and Ian Ferguson.
Canadians are exactly the kind of folks who need an instruction book on how to be themselves and I am a proud Canadian, so I bought it.
In a tongue-in-cheek style, it explains how a well-worn pair of blue jeans, a plaid shirt and a pair of wool socks is Canada’s official uniform, or at least it was until Neil Young brought the look to the world, making what was distinctly Canadian the official uniform of everyone everywhere. Which explains why Canadians abroad have to sew the Canadian flag on their backpacks I guess.
The book explains that the source of all Canadian patriotism is beer commercials. I don’t think that’s true, though I still feel a fierce pride when I remember that fella in the jeans and plaid shirt in that beer ad from the mid-90s who said that his name was Joe and he was Canadian. Yes, boys, back in the day it was enough to bring tears to your eyes.
Hmmm. Maybe the book is right, after all. (For your information, I heard that actor fella who played Joe Canadian in the ads later moved to the U.S. The money was better down there it seems. True story.)
The book discusses Canadian weather (winter), the 12 ways to say I’m sorry like a Canadian, (my favourite is the rarest one of all, the Authentic I’m Sorry. Canadians say I’m sorry a lot, but they rarely apologize, or so the book says.)
The book has a chapter on Canadian politics entitled Progressive Conservatives, Responsible Government and other Oxymorons. In this chapter you’ll learn how the Canadian government works (it doesn’t) how to draft a referendum question, how to reject a referendum ballot and how calling a Royal Commission is the secret weapon governments use to survive when the wolves are at the door. Which explains why we have so many Royal Commissions in this country, I guess.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who has ever practiced the art of being Canadian. The book is a hilarious read, but a lot of the humour rings true. Like the saying goes, many a truth is said in jest.
Enjoy.