The world a funny place. Just take a look around
I had a hard time nailing down an idea for today’s column. I read the papers, watched the network news channels, talked to people on the streets, but couldn’t come up with any one idea, though several bits and pieces came to mind. So here’s today’s column, a mixed bag of things I thought about today.
I read today in the Globe and Mail that there are more atoms in a single glass of water than glasses of water in the oceans of the world. That’s pretty cool.
It was all over the news Thursday. Booze-soaked actress Lindsay Lohan was charged with impaired driving from an incident last week, just weeks after no-talent billionaire heiress and fellow party girl Paris Hilton went through the same mess.
There are more than 40 wars raging around the planet right now. Did you know that? Probably not. Most of the big networks and papers don’t think that fact is interesting enough to catch your attention. But the childish crap these Hollywood starlets get into every day is headline news around the planet. How insane is that?
Apple Computers sold 270,000 iPhones in the first two days they were on sale last week. Experts figured the company would move about 200,000 units. The company says it expects to sell its one millionth iPhone before the end of the September quarter. It took Apple seven quarters to sell one million iPods. As you can imagine shares in the company soared. Ah, money. Be nice to have wouldn’t it?
Speaking of money, I walked by a comic book rack in a drugstore today and smiled. Feeling nostalgic, I picked up a Spiderman comic and flipped through it, remembering how much joy I got from comic books when I was a kid. Then I looked at the cover price. That little 20-page booklet cost $7.50! I said a word I try not to use around old ladies or preachers and put the booklet down fast. I’m too old for comic books anyway, I thought as I walked away.
Thursday’s New England Journal of Medicine had an essay about a furbearing angel of death named Oscar.
Oscar, a cat who lives at a senior care home in Providence, Rhode Island, has a pretty unusual talent. He can predict when people are going to die. Oscar has been seen, in 25 separate cases, to curl up next to residents, all of whom died, usually within four hours of his arrival at their bedside.
“He seems to understand when patients are about to die,” said Dr. David Dossa in his essay. “Many family members take some solace from it. They appreciate the companionship that the cat provides for their dying loved one,” Dosa said.
Oscar recently received a wall plaque commending his compassionate hospice care. Wow. You’re a cool cat Oscar, but stay away from me.
I read today in the Globe and Mail that there are more atoms in a single glass of water than glasses of water in the oceans of the world. That’s pretty cool.
It was all over the news Thursday. Booze-soaked actress Lindsay Lohan was charged with impaired driving from an incident last week, just weeks after no-talent billionaire heiress and fellow party girl Paris Hilton went through the same mess.
There are more than 40 wars raging around the planet right now. Did you know that? Probably not. Most of the big networks and papers don’t think that fact is interesting enough to catch your attention. But the childish crap these Hollywood starlets get into every day is headline news around the planet. How insane is that?
Apple Computers sold 270,000 iPhones in the first two days they were on sale last week. Experts figured the company would move about 200,000 units. The company says it expects to sell its one millionth iPhone before the end of the September quarter. It took Apple seven quarters to sell one million iPods. As you can imagine shares in the company soared. Ah, money. Be nice to have wouldn’t it?
Speaking of money, I walked by a comic book rack in a drugstore today and smiled. Feeling nostalgic, I picked up a Spiderman comic and flipped through it, remembering how much joy I got from comic books when I was a kid. Then I looked at the cover price. That little 20-page booklet cost $7.50! I said a word I try not to use around old ladies or preachers and put the booklet down fast. I’m too old for comic books anyway, I thought as I walked away.
Thursday’s New England Journal of Medicine had an essay about a furbearing angel of death named Oscar.
Oscar, a cat who lives at a senior care home in Providence, Rhode Island, has a pretty unusual talent. He can predict when people are going to die. Oscar has been seen, in 25 separate cases, to curl up next to residents, all of whom died, usually within four hours of his arrival at their bedside.
“He seems to understand when patients are about to die,” said Dr. David Dossa in his essay. “Many family members take some solace from it. They appreciate the companionship that the cat provides for their dying loved one,” Dosa said.
Oscar recently received a wall plaque commending his compassionate hospice care. Wow. You’re a cool cat Oscar, but stay away from me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home