Thursday, May 17, 2007

Facebook is new big thing

You may have heard some of the hoopla about something on the internet called Facebook. I have for the longest while, so I figured I’d take a gander and see what I could see.
If your not already in the know, facebook is a new networking site which lets people hook up with friends online. It’s pretty remarkable.
Wickepedia says Facebook was originally developed for college and university students but has since been made available to anyone with an email address. People can select to join one or more participating networks, such as a high school, place of employment, or geographic region. As of February 2007, the website had the largest number of registered users among college-focused sites with over 25 million members worldwide. The name of the site refers to the paper facebooks that colleges and preparatory schools give to incoming students, faculty, and staff to help them identify members of the campus community.
I wasn’t even on the site for an hour and I was bumping into people I hadn’t seen since college, and earlier. We were soon talking over old times and planning new ones.
A lot of the time, to me at least, it seems technology is plunging forward like a runaway train off a cliff. Every time you turn around there’s a new gadget to replace one that was new only last week, or so it seems.
Only 100 years ago, what movies there were were silent, telephones were relatively rare, the fastest way to travel was in a train or a ship, and letters took months to cross the oceans.
Now you can watch and even make movies with a phone you can carry in your pocket, space shuttles can circle the earth seven times an hour and you can send electronic letters to Taiwan in the blink of an eye, and get replies just as fast, like I did last night when I helped an old college friend celebrate her birthday in a faraway land. It really wasn’t all that different from some of the chats we’ve had in coffee shops in Charlottetown.
Wickepedia says Facebook is the number one site for photos in the United States, with over 6 million photos uploaded daily. It is also the sixth most visited site in the United States.
The world isn’t going to stop moving forward and sites like Facebook aren’t the future. They’re the now and like it or not, their here to stay. Like a friend told me the other day, people can either learn the new technology or they can lay down and be buried with the other dinosaurs.
I think I’ll give the new stuff a try.
See you in cyberspace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home