Say it ain't so Mr. Malley ...


Why did Tanker Malley cross the floor?
Because it was a day of the week that ended in Y.
It wasn’t that very long ago that I devoted this space to standing up for Michael (Tanker) Malley, the member of the Legislative Assembly from the riding of Miramichi Baie du Vin and self-described Very Ordinary Person.
Well, we all make mistakes.
Malley crossed the floor of the House in February to sit as an independent, tired of himself and his riding being kicked around by the governing Tories.
I went on at length about how Malley was one of us, was standing up for us, was fighting for us and had finally done the right thing.
Well, it wouldn’t be the first time in my life I’ve put my foot in my mouth.
Since then, Malley’s been named as Speaker of the House, a pretty nifty job for the once and future bus driver who prides himself on having never missed a day of school.
Two months, a cushy job and some backroom dealing later and a new and improved Michael Malley - his trademark Tanker beard and ballcap gone - has done an about face again.
Here's a bit from the note he read in the House on Thursday:
"Following a period of reflection, I have decided that it is in the best interest of my constituents that I return to the government caucus."
He also said there would be no change in his duties as Speaker. "I will continue to fulfill the duties of Speaker in a fair and impartial manner."
Malley could take a swan dive into a fresh pile of cow dung and come out smelling like three-dozen blue-ribbon winning roses. I’m not sure how, but it seems to be his one real talent.
Now MAlley and premier Lord are best buddies again, at least where TV lights and flashbulbs shine. What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall of Lord's office, though.
Speaking of walls, the writing has been on Lord's for some time concerning
his government's imminent demise. You have to admire the lengths the man will go to to hold onto power.
Beside the wrangling he's done to bring Malley back into the fold, Lord took the other Independent member Frank Branch to Montreal last week in order to protect his minoritiy government from falling in a surprise vote.
I tried to call Malley for a comment, but, unforunately, it seems it is easier to get the Easter Bunny on the phone these days then the honourable member from Miramichi Baie du Vin.

2 Comments:
I was going to leave a more insightful comment but I can hardly read your blog on my antique Mac. The beige background isn't coming up -- only the dark brown -- so I have to highlight the text to figure out what it says.
Tanker's political career might be toast, but I'd be first in line to pick up a well-written biography of him if the writer were able to get him to spill the beans on what backroom promises and backstabbings led him to flip flop so violently after so many years of steadfastness.
You totally need to update.
Post a Comment
<< Home