Angels are probably playing Matilda Murdock songs in Heaven
I’m not sure if there is such a place as heaven, or if I’ll ever go there if there is, but if I ever do make it to heaven and they let me through the pearly gates, I won’t be a bit surprised if the angels have fiddles and are playing along from one of Matilda Murdock’s song books.
I saw Matilda play for the first time Friday at St. Patrick’s church in Nelson, which just happened to be St. Patrick’s Day.
St. Patrick’s is a beautiful little church with a beautiful view, but all the action was happening inside on this overcast Irish holiday so inside I went.
The nave was crammed with people and at the front was a small group of musicians, including local lawyer Bannon Morrissy, Owen Murdock, Paula Foley and, of course, Matilda Murdock.
Matilda is 86 years of age, but you’d never know it by the way she plays that fiddle of hers.
I’m no music expert, but I know what I like and the haunting music produced by that woman’s fiddle and bow left me close to tears.
Among those that know quality fiddle music – like Bannon Morrissy – Matilda Murdock is a legend.
Morrissy said he is a huge fan of Murdock’s.
“She has a great love of music and an incredible ability. A very gifted player.”
She has a unique style of writing tunes and it shows by the various awards she’s received over the years, he added.
“She’s in the North American Fiddle Hall of Fame. She was Canadian Champion in 1968.”
Fiddle great Don Messer recorded several of her songs, he said.
“In my opinion, there’s really no equal to her here. And she’s respected by every fiddler.”
Musicians from Ireland who have heard her play have nothing but praise for her, he said.
“They said if she was in Ireland, people would travel across the country to hear her.”
Over the years, Murdock has composed over 200 pieces of original music.
“Her ability to compose is amazing. It’s really something. She has one of those God-given gifts.”
Though 86, she still plays everyday.
“She’d take backseat to nobody. She can play at a level equal to any player she can encounter.”
Over several years, Terry Gadsden, a multimedia instructor at New Brunswick Community College Miramichi and a fine musician in his own right, produced a documentary about Matilda Murdock. He recently sold the video to the TV network Bravo, which will play it 12 times over the next three years.
Gadsden writes music in his spare time. Over the years he has written more than 400 songs, mainly for commercials, television programs and movies. Most recently, Gadsden’s song “I’ll be Gone” was featured in the movie Brokeback Mountain, which has been nominated for a slew of Academy Awards.
In the documentary, Matilda’s son Owen Murdock said his mom’s talent is a force unto itself.
“She has to move and if you try to control her, you’re in trouble,” Murdock said. “It’s like getting in a pen with a bull. You don’t do that ’cause she’ll knock you over.”
The 23-minute documentary can be seen on Bravo on April 15.
Tune in and support our very talented local talent.
I saw Matilda play for the first time Friday at St. Patrick’s church in Nelson, which just happened to be St. Patrick’s Day.
St. Patrick’s is a beautiful little church with a beautiful view, but all the action was happening inside on this overcast Irish holiday so inside I went.
The nave was crammed with people and at the front was a small group of musicians, including local lawyer Bannon Morrissy, Owen Murdock, Paula Foley and, of course, Matilda Murdock.
Matilda is 86 years of age, but you’d never know it by the way she plays that fiddle of hers.
I’m no music expert, but I know what I like and the haunting music produced by that woman’s fiddle and bow left me close to tears.
Among those that know quality fiddle music – like Bannon Morrissy – Matilda Murdock is a legend.
Morrissy said he is a huge fan of Murdock’s.
“She has a great love of music and an incredible ability. A very gifted player.”
She has a unique style of writing tunes and it shows by the various awards she’s received over the years, he added.
“She’s in the North American Fiddle Hall of Fame. She was Canadian Champion in 1968.”
Fiddle great Don Messer recorded several of her songs, he said.
“In my opinion, there’s really no equal to her here. And she’s respected by every fiddler.”
Musicians from Ireland who have heard her play have nothing but praise for her, he said.
“They said if she was in Ireland, people would travel across the country to hear her.”
Over the years, Murdock has composed over 200 pieces of original music.
“Her ability to compose is amazing. It’s really something. She has one of those God-given gifts.”
Though 86, she still plays everyday.
“She’d take backseat to nobody. She can play at a level equal to any player she can encounter.”
Over several years, Terry Gadsden, a multimedia instructor at New Brunswick Community College Miramichi and a fine musician in his own right, produced a documentary about Matilda Murdock. He recently sold the video to the TV network Bravo, which will play it 12 times over the next three years.
Gadsden writes music in his spare time. Over the years he has written more than 400 songs, mainly for commercials, television programs and movies. Most recently, Gadsden’s song “I’ll be Gone” was featured in the movie Brokeback Mountain, which has been nominated for a slew of Academy Awards.
In the documentary, Matilda’s son Owen Murdock said his mom’s talent is a force unto itself.
“She has to move and if you try to control her, you’re in trouble,” Murdock said. “It’s like getting in a pen with a bull. You don’t do that ’cause she’ll knock you over.”
The 23-minute documentary can be seen on Bravo on April 15.
Tune in and support our very talented local talent.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home