Miramichier wrote song for Academy Award nominated film
There are some pretty cool people who call this river home.In fact, it never ceases to amaze me how many talented people we have on the Miramichi.The great thing about being a journalist is the fact that I get to meet them everyday.Terry Gadsden is one of these people.Terry is an instructor at NBCC Miramichi, in the multimedia department. But he’s more than a just a teacher.In his spare time, Terry writes music. Lots of it. Terry called me at the Leader office on Thursday morning, just before the deadline for Friday’s paper. I’d dealt with him before on a few stories a few years ago and I guess he remembered me. Anyway, very humbly he mentioned that a song he wrote appears in the smash new movie Brokeback Mountain and wondered if it was worth writing about.Brokeback Mountain? Isn’t that the movie that’s up for a couple of hundred Academy Awards? And a guy from here was a part of it?Yeah, that’s worth some ink.I tell him I’d like to get him down to the movie theatre to get some photos in front of the movie’s poster before the Miramichi run ends that day.“Yeah, that sounds like a great idea – a photograph! I’d love to have that for my memory box.”He asks me when I want the photo. “Five minutes ago,” I say.“Well I better get over there,” he says and you can hear the excitement in his voice.“Gee, this is fun!” he adds, and I smile – and darned if I didn’t agree with the man.A few minutes later and we’re inside the front doors of the theatre pounding on the door. The theatre isn’t open but there are cars there, so I plan to talk my way in.Terry is bouncing with excitement.“You do this sort of stuff everyday? What a life in a small town,” he says with glee.Yeah, I think, it is a pretty darn fun way to make a living.After a while of pounding, Terry decides to go to the mall to call the office. I keep knocking.A fellow comes to the door. I explain what I’m up to.“You got any ID?”“No, actually, I don’t. I left my wallet at home, but if you’ve got a newspaper handy I’ll prove who I am quick.”He smiles.“Well, come on in then.”A few minutes later Terry shows up and I get him to stand in front of the poster and I take a few shots. Some of the cleaning crew gather around and start fawning over him. I smile.When I get back to the office, it’s too late to run the story in Friday’s paper. But that’s all right. It’s in this paper on page A6, and I still got it first.Thanks, Terry, and thanks to the staff of Studio 5 for putting up with us.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home