Please vote, you won't regret it
On Jan. 23, the fate of 30 million Canadians will rest on your shoulders.
How’s that for pressure?
But seriously, next Monday is election day and Canadians will be out across the country marking an X inside a box on a ballot.
And I for one can’t wait.
I love elections. Winter summer, spring or fall, there’s always time for an election campaign.
Like lots of people on this river, I’m fascinated by politics, though I’ll readily admit I’m no expert. I think it’s the greatest sport known to man.
During the regular season, this greatest of games is played on the floor of the House of Commons in Ottawa, where the players sling mud and spill blood. But every five years or so, they take their game to the streets and allow us to pick who will play in the next regular season game. (We’ve been lucky lately, with two playoff seasons in as many years.)
When it come to teams ( also known as parties) I try to keep an open mind and remember what author Kin Hubbard (no relation to Charlie) wrote, “We'd all like to vote for the best man, but he's never a candidate.”
The only thing I don’t like about the game is the people who exercise their vote with the same mindless zeal with which they approach their favourite sport team. Deserving or not, that’s their team, gosh darn it!
I think its – even worse, dangerous.
I think people should vote for the party that can do the most good for the country, or if all else fails, the least harm, no matter what flag they fly.
But most people seem to vote in the way that’ll best benefit themselves.
Well, at least they’re voting.
Some people don’t vote at all. Some might say it’s only their loss, but they’re wrong. We all lose.
As M. A. Denck said, “Those believing they have not voted are mistaken, for their indifference affects all our futures.”
Too true.
I like what former U.S. president Abraham Lincoln said too: “Elections belong to the people. It is their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters.”
But I’ve saved the best for last. Robert A. Heinlein is the greatest science fiction writer who ever drew a breath. Heinlein said: "If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for ... but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong."
Heinlein was a smart guy. He has a crater on Mars named after him. How many politicians do you know who can beat that?
Please vote; you won’t regret it.
How’s that for pressure?
But seriously, next Monday is election day and Canadians will be out across the country marking an X inside a box on a ballot.
And I for one can’t wait.
I love elections. Winter summer, spring or fall, there’s always time for an election campaign.
Like lots of people on this river, I’m fascinated by politics, though I’ll readily admit I’m no expert. I think it’s the greatest sport known to man.
During the regular season, this greatest of games is played on the floor of the House of Commons in Ottawa, where the players sling mud and spill blood. But every five years or so, they take their game to the streets and allow us to pick who will play in the next regular season game. (We’ve been lucky lately, with two playoff seasons in as many years.)
When it come to teams ( also known as parties) I try to keep an open mind and remember what author Kin Hubbard (no relation to Charlie) wrote, “We'd all like to vote for the best man, but he's never a candidate.”
The only thing I don’t like about the game is the people who exercise their vote with the same mindless zeal with which they approach their favourite sport team. Deserving or not, that’s their team, gosh darn it!
I think its – even worse, dangerous.
I think people should vote for the party that can do the most good for the country, or if all else fails, the least harm, no matter what flag they fly.
But most people seem to vote in the way that’ll best benefit themselves.
Well, at least they’re voting.
Some people don’t vote at all. Some might say it’s only their loss, but they’re wrong. We all lose.
As M. A. Denck said, “Those believing they have not voted are mistaken, for their indifference affects all our futures.”
Too true.
I like what former U.S. president Abraham Lincoln said too: “Elections belong to the people. It is their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters.”
But I’ve saved the best for last. Robert A. Heinlein is the greatest science fiction writer who ever drew a breath. Heinlein said: "If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for ... but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong."
Heinlein was a smart guy. He has a crater on Mars named after him. How many politicians do you know who can beat that?
Please vote; you won’t regret it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home