Friday, September 04, 2009

How I spent my summer with Big Brother

I didn’t mean for it to happen.
I swear.
But last summer it got me and before I even realized what was happening, I was an addict.
I started watching Big Brother.
I’ll admit I used to be a bit of a snob when it came to “reality” TV.
The first time I watched an episode of Survivor almost a decade ago and saw that the prize everyone was scrambling around in the mud for was a bag of Doritos and a bottle of Mountain Dew, I rolled my eyes and walked away.
But there’s something different about Big Brother.
A dozen strangers are locked up in a house together for a summer while two people are nominated for eviction every week and the houseguests vote to see who goes home. There are a whole lot of secret deals, double-crosses, triple-crosses and quadruple-crosses along the way until at the end of the summer, only two players remain and a jury of evicted houseguests decide which of the final two will win half-a-million bucks.
From the moment the show started again earlier this summer I picked my players to love and hate.
Ronnie, a no-good, backstabbing little weasel who didn’t give a damn about anyone but himself was my first pick to win. He might not have been someone you’d want to rub elbows with in polite society, but he definitely had what it takes to win on Big Brother. Only he’s not going to win. Cause he’s gone.
You see, like real life, Big Brother’s not fair, and talent and skill can often be worth nothing at all.
Natalie, this week’s Head of Household, spent the summer attached to the hip of Jesse, one of the few serious contenders for the money, then attached herself to Kevin, the only person left in the house who didn’t hate her guts after Jesse was backstabbed and voted out. Aside from winning the latest Head of Household competition Thursday night, she never won a single thing this season and coasted through on the coattails of others, but she’s still very much in the running to take the big money. Only Natalie, her for-now pal Kevin, Jordan, a little southern belle who is as cute as a button and as dense as a bag of hammers and Michelle, a beautiful neuroscientist and my current pick to win, remain.
If Michelle doesn’t win, that’s OK. Because the beauty of Big Brother is that even if you don’t have someone you want to win, there’ll always be someone you want to lose.
Only two weeks remain until the winner is decided and then it’s all over until next summer.
I already can’t wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home